Smile! Next week marks the start of National Smile Month, the UK’s largest and longest running campaign to promote good oral health. The campaign is run by The Oral Health Foundation and is designed to raise awareness of important health issues and to make a positive difference to the oral health of millions.
Good oral health can have numerous life changing benefits. From great self-confidence to better luck in careers and relationships, a healthy smile can not only transform your appearance but also your outlook on life and even your overall health. A smile is top of the list things we first notice when we meet a new person. So how do you look after your smile? Here are ten top tips to help you.
- Brush your teeth last thing at night and at least one other time during the day, using a fluoride toothpaste
- Make sure you are brushing for two minutes. Use a timer or find a song you like to brush along to. There are some great phone apps to help you
- Clean in between your teeth at least once a day using interdental brushes or floss
- Don’t rinse your mouth after cleaning your teeth – you will wash the fluoride away!
- Change your toothbrush every two – three months or sooner to make sure it’s still effective at cleaning your teeth
- Wait an hour after eating or drinking before brushing your teeth as tooth enamel is softened and more vulnerable
- Avoid snacking between meals and keep any sugary foods and drink to mealtimes, this reduces the number of times your teeth come under acid attack
- Quit smoking – you will have less chance of tooth staining, gum disease, tooth loss and even developing mouth cancer
- Visit your dentist regularly – as often as he or she recommends
- If you are nervous about visiting the dentist, tell them when you make your appointment – your dentist can help you overcome your fears.
Revive Dental Care welcomes new NHS patients to join us at our practices in Monton, Davyhulme, Bexley Square Salford and Ancoats.